Sunday, June 15, 2014

Colette Juniper Trousers!

I'm back.  I've been sewing some and crafting some, but just not blogging.  Sorry :-/

I busted my butt this morning and into the afternoon to finish this pair of pants to enter into the Pattern Review Pants Contest.  I started them because of the contest and of course waited until the last possible moment to finish them.  



 Here's my official Pattern Review:

Pattern Description: 

Classic wide-leg trousers, perfectly fitted through the hips and falling gently to a moderately wide hem. Has front slash pockets and fly front.
Pattern Sizing:

0-18. I made a 4 with lots of fit modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes! It did!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I thought they were pretty easy to follow. I sewed the pocket in a different order than the instructions called out, which made more sense to me. I thought the instructions were a little too wordy. They are too conversational and could be easily simplified and still make sense.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I really like the style of these pants. Something I always want to buy, but have a hard time finding in stores.

The fit was not great for my body type. I do not have hips so I had to make some modifications. That was a little annoying because being an indie pattern (not a Big 4) I was hoping the body measurements listed on the back of the pattern would be more accurate. I measure 27.5" at natural waist, and 36.75" at hip and I had to take in this pattern a lot! See below.

I also did not like that there wasn't a top pocket facing. I ended up adding one.

Fabric Used:

A vintage med. weight denim I bought at a church sale for a few dollars years ago and a vintage floral sheet for the pocketing I got for free when I first started to sew. Yay for stashbusting!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Okay...here we go...

Like I said above I made a size 4. I was a big-ol-idiot and thought that I would make the pants straight from the envelope and not have to make fit adjustments. I even overlocked and topstitched the sides and back rise before checking fit. Derrrr. So I had to unpick a lot and make as many adjustments as I could without recutting and redoing the entire pant. I ended up taking in the side seams from about low hip to waistseam 1/4" (1" total circumference). i also took in the CB seam 1/4" (1/2" total). Of course then my facings were the wrong size! My seam allowances for the CB facing pieces ended up being about 1 3/8" and I left my front facing pieces seam allowance 5/8." This was my quick and dirty fix. I hate recutting pieces.

Also, I drafted a little top pocket facing because it is one if my pet peeves to see pocketing fabric exposed inside the pocket.

I still need to address a little bit of "hungry butt" but overall, the fit is pretty good for my first real pair of pants.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I might make this again, but I would have to transfer all my fit changes to the pattern and I'm not up for that right now. Plus there are so many other patterns I want to try.

Conclusion: 

Overall, its a pretty good pattern, just not great for the hipless.




 Here are a few detail shots of the pocket and the trouser closure.


 If you made it down this far, VOTE FOR ME :)

Pants Contest 2014

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful post -- as one of the hipness folks. I love Colette patterns but I did wonder about the fit of these pants for those of us that are not pear shaped (I'm reverse triangle/could be an apple if I gain weight). I love these on you and appreciate the accurate review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I love Jennifer Stern's jeans and pants pattern. Her sister (hipless) is her sloper. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and suggestion about Jennifer stern's patterns. I'll have to give them a try!

      Delete
  3. Love the cut of your new trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had to make lots of changes, but they look great! Sigh, I would love to find a pants pattern that always fit me with no changes. Don't think it will ever happen. Good luck in the contest!.

    ReplyDelete