Friday, March 21, 2014

Burda 02-2013 #127 Gathered Raglan Sleeve Top

This pattern was both a wadder and then a success.


I thought I had found the perfect pattern to use for the striped fabric below:

I really liked this grey and white stripe knit.  I purchased it in Maui years ago, and have been holding on to it.  When I finally got to working with the fabric, I realized the grain was horribly distorted, probably because it was originally a circular knit and then it was cut to roll on a bolt.  The Boyfriend and I tried pull the fabric back into shape, but we failed.  I decided to cut the pattern out anyways and put the pieces on grain as best as I could.  Construction was going fine until I realized that the fabric had no recovery! I finished the top, minus the hem, and tried it on.  It was a hot mess!  I tossed it right away along with the rest of the fabric.  I was so sad.  


I decided to try again with a black Rayon/Lycra knit I had in the stash.  This fabric was drapier, and had nice recovery.  I consider this one the success.  Not sure I love the raglan look, but it fits and looks good.  All the pictures are completely washed out to show some detail.


Changes I made:
I shortened the body drastically and shortened the sleeves by 2".  I could have shortened the sleeves more.  I also shortened the neck binding by 2" as recommended by someone on PatternReview.  For this version I sewed the sleeves on to the body first and then stitched the sleeve and side seams second.  I had to take about 1.25" out of the underarm.  I felt there was too much fabric and it was hindering my movement.
I used a twin needle on all hems.  




Link to my PatternReview.  


Sorry for all the washed out photos.  It was the only way to show the detail!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Just read about your top on PatternReview, and I thought it looks great! I made this top too, over a year ago, and had to make quite a few alterations as well. But I've come to love this top, and I wear it a lot.
    Steph @ escapdesinsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am here from PR and love your top, all over again! Thank you for writing he review and for blogging about it too. I want to try this pattern and will reference both when doing so. TFS! Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments on both PR and here! You should try this pattern. It's pretty good if you use the right fabric. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the raglan sleeves on you and the fit is very flattering. If you choose to make this pattern again, you could do a very small sway back adjustment to remove the extra fabric from the back waistline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I was thinking the same thing about the swayback adjustment. I just don't like seams at CB in my knits. I think I'd rather deal with a little pooling Hehehe :-P

      Delete