Sunday, June 30, 2013

Just What I Needed...Floral Tank: Simplicity 1693


I needed an quick project.  An easy one to cleanse my palate of the Boyfriend's shirt.  I went through my patterns and chose Simplicity 1693.  Then I went through my stash and found a rayon challis strike-off I got at the swapmeet.  I got 2 yards for $2.  Woohoo!  I originally thought I would make a dress using this fabric, but never paired it with the right pattern.

I chose view F.  I used french seams throughout and made my own self bias binding to finish the neckline and the armholes.  Without the collar, the top was sort of boring.  I decided to make spaghetti like I did for one of my first projects in school.   The spaghetti straps could have been stuffed a little more, but I think they are alright.  I hand-sewed the spaghetti straps in a swirly pattern and added pearl buttons.  Here is a close-up of the neckline:



 The instructions had you make a button loop with thread.  Mine's slightly too big for the button so it slips off the button sometimes.  And the close-up of the back:


If I make this view again, I might try the collar and I would shorten the back a little.  It is quite long on little ol' me.  I definitely want to try the other views.





Thanks to my newest followers!  190!  Woohoo!

Cat
Susan Partlan

Giveaway next time :)


Follow on Bloglovin


5 comments:

  1. Oh that's adorable - love that neckline detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca! I love your top, it's very pretty and summery. You did a nice work on the neckline :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking this page for your spaghetti idea to jazz up a boring neckline! I'm looking g for easy tops to make. I had bad experiences in making sewing projects in high school sewing class, barely passed the course but now I'm ready to step up from thrift store refashions into sewing patterns. I'm already a member at pattern review so if I post something using your spaghetti idea, I will definitely give you credit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! I hope the spaghetti neckline works for you! Let me know when you make your top. I would love to see it!

      Delete