My last project in my Pattern Drafting class was a pair of shorts. The requirements were:
1) Must be shortened (ie. not full length pants)
2) Must have rolled up cuffs
3) Must have mock-fly zipper
4) Must have patch pocket
I decided I wanted to make a retro-inspired high-waisted short. I also wanted to try to get rid of side seams and create a side panel instead. I saw similar pockets on BurdaStyle and wanted to try something like it.
The fabric is this cheap-o hot pink linen I found at the FIDM Scholarship store for $2/yd. If you breathe on it, it wrinkles. A lot! Don't worry, this is not how I presented them for the critique. They were pressed very nicely. I took the pictures after they were folded in the bag.
This is what I came up with:
The pictures suck. The cuffs ARE even in real life and the back waistline does not tilt like that. I forgot that I hadn't taken pictures so I threw them back on a mannequin and snapped real quick photos with my phone in a cramped little sewing room full of students trying to finish final projects. I didn't bother getting them on correctly. I was so afraid they wouldn't fit, and they didn't, but thank God for linen and its stretchiness. I stretched the fabric so the zipper would close!
I didn't know how they would turn out when I drafted/designed them. I wish the inseam would have been shorter and the high waistline not so high, but overall it was a good project and I got 100%. I think they are ugly, but who cares! They are done! Sometimes I think FIDM teachers grade really easy....oh well.