Friday, July 29, 2011

FIDM Frustration: #3 The I Don't Give A Damn Drape

I HATE DRAPING!  I'm such a rules person, so not having any is a big problem for me.  I always have questions that my teacher does not want to answer.  Like, am I allowed to go off-grain?  Who knows.  Our assignment is to drape a knit dress using this awful polyester interlock using Bonsai trees as our inspiration.  I didn't just want to throw sh*t on the form like some students did, so I tried to keep it simple and my teacher hated it.   Honestly, I hate it too.  She told me its not couture enough.  Adding a bunch of volume and fluff to a dress does not mean couture.  Hand sewing is couture.

Dress when I turned it in.  Horribly basted together, and the edges not finished.  This was the first drape.  Its not supposed to be polished and done.


 And after it was verbally ripped apart,  I added this macrame garbage to it that I learned in a workshop the day before.  This was about 5 min. of me adding crap! The front has potential, the back still is really ugly.


I have until Wed. to fix the drape, make the pattern for it and cut it out of a chocolate brown interlock I got for a $1/yd at the scholarship store because I didn't have enough of the white to make it again.  Also, I refuse to spend a lot of money on this class.

We'll see how it all turns out....

1 comment:

  1. You may hate this class, but you will learn from it, even if that learning is self-taught. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete