Monday, April 30, 2012

Teal Garden Dress: Cynthia Rowley S2443

I bought a really nice teal double knit at the swapmeet not too long ago and had plans to make my mom a another version of V1250 because it had some additional stretch in the lengthwise direction.  She liked the fabric, but wanted the dress is a print instead.  I decided to try the Simplicity Cynthia Rowley pattern S2443 again.  Last time, I made this jacket.  At the time, I attempted the dress, but I used the wrong fabric and had a horrible time with the zipper.  Also, the amount of gathering at the waist was too much so I gave up.

This time, I took about 10 in. total from the gathers (to prevent the oh so flattering pregnancy look) and omitted the zipper.  I also only interfaced the waistband and shortened the dress 4 inches.

I wrote a lot more on PR.





I'm really proud of this dress because it was supposed to be a quick and easy project, but turned out to be more challenging than it should have been.  I had to rip out the sides 3 times on each side just to line up the side seams of the waistband and skirt.  Such a pain in the butt.  I overlocked almost the entire dress, including the attachment of the very curvy straps without basting.  I've already worn it twice!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on my pants both on the blog and PR.  

I'm currently working on this:

View E (pictured)

It's almost done, but I've had a lot of distractions lately and had a bit of trouble getting the back pleat to lay properly.  This may end up being a wadder.


9 comments:

  1. I've been seriously waffling on that blouse pattern- I'll keep that back pleat in mind! Your dress is perfect looking- wow- I never get knit to lay so perfectly!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll post pictures when the blouse is done. I want to make it again actually, even though the first is not finished, to change up the construction.

      Delete
  2. Your dress looks great. I've had this pattern forever (for the the jacket) and never used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The jacket was fun to make, even for a beginner (I made it 2 yrs ago). Your daughter might like the dress. :)

      Delete
  3. When I first started sewing (last year) that dress and jacket was my first project after I learned to use my sewing machine, boy was that a mistake, even in a class at joann's. I almost gave up sewing because of it. All of the pattern pieces sit in a brown grocery bag.

    Yours looks awesome, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried the dress and jacket back in 2010. The jacket was a success, but the dress was not. If you still like the pattern I think you should try again with the jacket. It is not too hard, and from what I remember, the instructions were pretty good. It was nice going back to the dress pattern after all this time. I am proud that it was a lot easier, but still not very fun to make :(

      Good luck with your projects!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job on this dress. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice! I love the color, and the dress, it is on my list of things to make for summer.

    ReplyDelete