Sunday, May 8, 2011

Colette Patterns: The Negroni!


I finally re-hemmed the sleeves and the shirt is ready to go back to live with the Boyfriend.  Since I stupidly never got a picture of him wearing the shirt, I had to take a photo of it on the hanger.  




I love the fabric.  It was another $1/yard find at the swapmeet.  It is a navy blue and white yarn cotton/linen shirting.   The pictures do not show the color very well.  I think it's cotton linen.  Or maybe just cotton. Or just linen.  I learned in textiles class that you cannot really distinguish between cellulose fibers in a burn test.  Linen's ash is a little whiter than cotton's, but not by much.  You can only really tell if you look at the fibers under a microscope.  They have different structures.  

I wish there was a front placket on the shirt and collar stand.  I think Peter from Male Patterned Boldness did a tutorial for it so I may just make my own next time around.  I already have more fabric purchased for the second shirt. A small navy blue and white check or gingham. I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

Here's my quick PR review:


Pattern Description:

Men's short sleeved and long sleeved shirt. View 1 has longer sleeves with a finished placket and cuff. View 2  is the short sleeved version. The shirt is slightly fitted so ends up with a modern look.

I made View 2.
This was the wearable muslin to see how it fit.

Pattern Sizing:

S to XL.  I think it is pretty true to size.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yup!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes.  I thought they were very easy.  The yoke was put together a little differently, but it was easy and went together well.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The fit was really good for a shirt pattern.  I thought the sleeves were a little long for a modern shirt pattern.   Not sure I love the pockets, but they are kinda cute.

Fabric Used:

Cotton/Linen (I think?) shirting.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I shorted the sleeves by about 2 inches.  I also mock flat-felled the seams instead of traditionally flat-felling them.  It was quick and easy.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes! I already have the fabric picked out.  I recommend it to others too.

Conclusion:

Great shirt!


And....

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment