Tuesday, September 28, 2010

McCall's 6069: WADDER!



I was so excited to get started on my McCall 6069 dress.  All the other versions I have seen are great!

And then one bad thing after another happened until I decided to quit and call it a "wadder."  Let's see where I went wrong:

1)  I decided to use a thin, drapey cotton jersey ($1/yd) my Mom bought for me;  an ideal fabric for this project.  It is a blackish grey with a interesting motif in white going crosswise along the fabric.  Border print!  I thought, "This will be perfect! Drapey, nice border print, light-weight, great color...." I tried to lay out the pattern as shown in the layout and realized the print was off grain.  Stupidly, I decided to try it anyways because, hey, the fabric was free to me and the pattern was $2 on sale.  To get the border to line up, I had to cut the fabric in one layer.  I couldn't even cut on the fold.  It took forever, but it looked like I had done a good job.

2)  I cut the pattern in a size 8 at top grading to a 10 at the bottom.  With a style like this I should have cut a straight 10 or even a 12.


3)  I didn't follow directions at first and accidently sewed the back strap on incorrectly and then had to pick out the stitches.  In doing so, I made little rips in the fabric.  Uggh.

4)  The layout was ridiculous!  I tried to avoid the weird motif centering on my boobs, but I never thought about how it would look on the bottom.  Even though it was off grain, I did match up the motif well, but look what it does on the skirt portion.  Totally ridiculous!



Anyways, here's me in the "dress."  It's not actually put together, but I tried to give you an idea of what it would have looked like.  It's a monstrosity...


Oh well, you win some and you lose some.  I just wasted a few hours today, but I'm not too worried about it.

Next up:

The stripey dress and the doggie outfits!  I finished the Vogue knit dress a few days ago, but went out of town this weekend and it's been too hot here to wear a long sleeve poly knit dress around.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you may be able to rescue the dress - worth doing as your fabric is TDF! It looks like its been cut too big. Why not try triming your pieces now to the size below. I've bought this pattern - but can't find a nice print to make it up in.

    ReplyDelete