Saturday, September 11, 2010

Old Cardigan and New Fabric!

I'm officially moved in to my new (old) home in Southern California.  Only 23 days until I start school!  Since I haven't been sewing all that much, I thought I would share an old project that didn't work out like I wanted, but I think I will try again with some new fabric and changes to the pattern.

I made this cardigan with McCall's 5978 almost a year ago before I started blogging:


The fit was okay, but the facings kept flipping out and I had to steam-a-seam them down.  Also, I had never done a button-front shirt or sweater, so I didn't know how close to place the button holes.  I should have looked at one of my cardigans in my closet. :( I didn't check the pattern pieces all that well except for the spacing.  They ended up way to far from the edge and it looked funny.  My sister liked it anyways and took it off my hands :)

Here is the Pattern Review:

Pattern Description: 

MISSES' CARDIGANS AND TOP: Cardigans have three-quarter or full length sleeves and stitched hems; cardigan A has purchased lace trim; cardigan B has jewel stones; cardigan C has pearls; cardigan D has self-fabric appliques; sleeveless top E has narrow hem finishing at neck, armhole and lower edges.

Pattern Sizing:

Y(X-Small, Small, Medium), Z(Large, X-Large)
I made a small.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, except for all the embellishments.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

It was easy to put together. I did not like that the facings kept flipping out. I made a mistake and made the buttonholes too far from the edge.

Fabric Used:

A very soft poly. knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

No changes, just took off all the embellishments.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I think I will try this one again.

Conclusion: 

Pretty good pattern, try to work something out with the facings. 


Today, I bought some fabric to make a new cardi.  Here it is:


Isn't that fabric cute?! I was only able to get just under 2 yds, but it only cost $1 for the piece. I think its cotton jersey, but I may do a burn test to make sure.  What do you think? Should I add some black lace around the neckline and down the front? What about redrafting the neckline to be a scoop neck instead of a v-neck.  


(Isn't that zipper amazing! Its super long, but missing a pull.  I got it for 25 cents! )

2 comments:

  1. I think a black trim would look good. Not keen on lace though. What about some black cotton jersey, gathered with the rolled hem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cardi! Have you tried understitching the facing?

    http://www.helium.com/items/951742-sewing-techniques-understitching

    ReplyDelete